Ideas for Member Tiers Proposal

After reading looking at the Fingerprints debate on developing different tiers I think that a good way to move forward would be first to incorporate a lower tier and as we add value to our Dao memberships, we can better understand what perks we can give members that acquire more $RAW.

For lower Tier memberships aka Raw Adopter
-Entry would be 100 $RAW tokens
-It grants you full access to voting power and discord
-Members can start earning right away, however, compensation earned during each month will be allocated in $RAW tokens until 500 tokens are held by the Adopter.
-Lower tier members can participate in curatorial discussions but are not allowed to nominate or vote for acquisitions

Important notes: I think that prior implementing tiers, better rules and policies on conflict resolution, member offboarding and expected behavior by members.

2 Likes

Thank you for drafting this proposal @JoseCactuss!

I would be curious to get some market data from potential new members in order to better understand what barriers they face as they consider joining RAW. I feel like the current token price is really goblintown at ~ 0.3E / 600 USD, but also understand that this is still a barrier nonetheless. To me this was a much bigger concern when the token price was 1E / 3000+ USD and that was what prevented @brileigh and myself from joining sooner.

Overall, it can’t hurt to encourage new contributors with this more accessible entry point. One potential downside to a lower buy-in is contributors who may be more “green” to web3 in general and might struggle to integrate into a DAO workplace. So if we are encouraging new members in this way, we should also complement this with better onboarding strategies and investments in ops/tooling to make RAW run more smoothly.

I think the strategy of rewarding lower tier members with tokens before being eligible for ETH/USDC comp makes sense, though I am not sure of the tokenomics implications. I know we have a small stash of $RAW in the Finance vault so I guess it would come from there like the quarterly $RAW bonuses.

In terms of higher membership tiers, I think this would be good to explore as well but remains lower priority. It might create some buy pressure for the token but I’m not sure how effective this will be. Some potential ideas for higher membership tier perks e.g. 1000 $RAW or 2000 $RAW:

• Choose the RAW Discord banner, Twitter banner, website homepage image, etc.
  • Discord role (“Inner Circle,” “Benefactor,” “Key Supporter,” I don’t know)
  • RAW NFT, likely a 3D render along the lines of what @samcronenberg designed for the Artist Pass
2 Likes

Love the idea of a Discord role like a “benefactor” for investors

2 Likes

I also think that the entire discussion of membership tiers is secondary to developing a comprehensive membership strategy to ensure that current members:

• understand clearly how to contribute to RAW, esp. for those new to DAOs (if desired)
  • can easily find which work area(s) they might fit into (if desired)
  • are able to easily participate in the CC process through nominations and voting
  • are kept up-to-date regardless of their level of involvement
  • are able to enjoy RAW as a space for social gathering and kinship as well as work
2 Likes

Could not agree more.
What is the value of joining RAW apart from contributing? What will retain members for the long term if they can work in any DAO? What is the value of being a stakeholder of RAW if the token value doesn’t reflect the treasury or value of the collection?

Community Curation is currently the only perk I can see, which is tied into compensation. Don’t get me wrong I love community curation, but there needs to be more. A social pull to RAW that makes it cool and fun.

• are able to enjoy RAW as a space for social gathering and kinship as well as work

:key:

tbh this ties into so many other areas of the DAO, into our overall structure and thesis, into how we market ourselves, in terms of finance, everything! It’s a really important subject that deserves its own thread haha

2 Likes

wen membership strategy

I think ASAP ser. I’d call this much-needed community strategy, which is something @brileigh has brought up in (the not so long ago) past as well. I think this can only add value and order to navigating the DAO and everything you’ve mentioned above. Art Os also mentioned that this could also be a branding strategy

I think a good example of this is what is being cooked for NFT NYC

Reposting this here from RAW Discord
:gem: Soul Bound Tokens

We have recently created the Artist Pass (SBT avant la lettre) and we could now also think of creating other kinds of SBT (Soul Bound Tokens) to give people access. It could be a way to get in for for example people with special abilities needed for the DAO, outside curators or other. Anyway using SBT next to our existing tokens for community and governance purposes would be very interesting and would also hedge against RAW DAO becoming a plutocracy.

For more information some reading here on the subject of SBT:

Vitalik Buterin’s website on SBT

And a recent paper by E. Glen Weyl, Puja Ohlhaver & Vitalik Buterin

Web3 today centers around expressing transferable, financialized assets, rather than encoding social relationships of trust. Yet many core economic activities—such as uncollateralized lending and building personal brands—are built on persistent, non-transferable relationships. In this paper, we illustrate how non-transferable “soulbound” tokens (SBTs) representing the commitments, credentials, and affiliations of “Souls” can encode the trust networks of the real economy to establish provenance and reputation. More importantly, SBTs enable other applications of increasing ambition, such as community wallet recovery, sybil-resistant governance, mechanisms for decentralization, and novel markets with decomposable, shared rights. We call this richer, pluralistic ecosystem “Decentralized Society” (DeSoc)—a co-determined sociality, where Souls and communities come together bottom-up, as emergent properties of each other to co-create plural network goods and intelligences, at a range of scales. Key to this sociality is decomposable property rights and enhanced governance mechanisms—such as quadratic funding discounted by correlation scores—that reward trust and cooperation while protecting networks from capture, extraction, and domination. With such augmented sociality, web3 can eschew today’s hyper-financialization in favor of a more transformative, pluralist future of increasing returns across social distance.

Example how Optimism Governance integrates SBT

While membership tiers make sense generally, I’d highly suggest pausing this conversation until we explore membership benefits first.

Once we have a good list of potential benefits we can start to divvy them up into tiers. In fact, this exercise will likely help us come to a consensus on the purpose/price of tiers.

4 Likes